If you’re looking for an incredible Canadian experience, one of the best places you can go is the 1000 Islands region near the United States- Canada border. With its breathtaking scenery, plenty of outdoor activities, and rich history and culture, there’s no shortage of things to do in this stunning region.
1. Explore Boldt Castle – Built as a testament to love and romance, Boldt Castle stands as a grandly crafted stone structure atop Heart Island in the St. Lawrence River. Guided tours are available so visitors can experience this unique building and learn about its history. To book a Cruise Ship tour visit City Experiences by Hornblower cruise lines
2. Visit Thousand Islands National Park – Spanning 20 islands between the town of Gananoque and Hill Island near the U.S. border, this national park is a must-see for wildlife lovers. Nature hikes, bird watching, and boating excursions reveal the area’s breathtaking beauty.
3. Try Water Sports – From kayaking to fishing, the 1000 Islands region is a renowned destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Boaters, divers, and swimmers can explore the unique coves, bays, and open waters, while anglers can test their skills against some of the world’s best freshwater fishing. If you are an diving enthusiast, check out all of the diving options 1000 Islands has to offer here. Check out our Activities page for more information on which water sports are available right onsite here at Bluestar Lakefront Cottage!
4. Learn About Local History – The area is overflowing with historical points of interest and cultural attractions, from Fort Henri to the arts and entertainment scene of downtown Brockville. Tour the historic city centre of Downtown Kingston or investigate local structures like the Brockville Railway Tunnel.
5. Sample Local Wine & Beer – For wine lovers, the 1000 Islands is home to an impressive selection of vineyards and wineries including Thousand Islands Winery located just over U.S. border in Alexandria Bay, NY. Gan Brewing Co. is a local hot spot that makes delicious locally made beer and is located just 15 minutes from Bluestar Lakefront Cottage!
The 1000 Islands region is undoubtedly a must-visit destination for adventurers, travel enthusiasts and wine connoisseurs alike. Whether you’re into water sports, history, local art or simply enjoying the views, there’s truly something for everyone.
For more information on what 1000 Islands has to offer visit www.1000islandstourism.com